HITZ is a Premiership Rugby’s award-winning education and employability programme which works with more than 2,000 young people, aged 16-19 years old, every year.
Delivered nationally, by Premiership Rugby’s 13 member clubs, HITZ uses rugby’s core values to improve the personal, social and life skills to support young people back into education, training, apprenticeships and/or employment (NEET).
Supported and funded by partners CVC Foundation and Wooden Spoon, the HITZ learning academy offers a relaxed environment giving students the chance to earn accredited Maths and English qualifications through GCSE and Functional Skills provisions. The programme embeds the core values of rugby, teamwork, respect, enjoyment, discipline and sportsmanship and offers essential enrichment and sporting activities which supports the development of the individual improving physical, mental and social wellbeing through a tailored approach.
Aims of the HITZ learning academy at Northampton Saints Foundation
- To embed an enrichment schedule which supports the growth of personal, life and employability skills of young people who are NEET.
- Offer employer led and work experience and workshops that have worth and the potential to offer positive progressions.
- To create a safe, inclusive and holistic environment that promotes the offering to gain nationally accredited qualifications.
- To provide a programme that improves the physical, mental and social wellbeing of individuals.
Impact of the programme - 2020/2021 academic year
- Over 70% of participants followed positive progression routes through achieving a place within further education, training or employment.
- 100% functional skills pass rate in Maths and English.
- 92% retention rate
- 80% of participants report an improvement in personal, social and physical well-being
How the HITZ program works?
Taught and in partnership with SCL Education and Training, the HITZ program is delivered though a structured timetable creating consistency and stability for the participants to gain a City and Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Employability. Through the support of our enthusiastic staff, the hope is the participants who attend will leave with a newfound confidence and readiness to achieve success in education or employment. With fantastic links to partners, local and national businesses, work experience and enrichment is embedded into the structured timetable alongside Maths and English to create a whole holistic approach to developing.
To find out more information and to make a referral please contact [email protected]
"I just wanted to say a big thank you for helping my son to achieve his Maths and English. He couldn’t have achieved it in the mental state he has been in without you all. You will never know how much I appreciate your help and how much of an opportunity you have provided for my son and his future. We are all very grateful to you all".Guardian of a HITZ student